As we leave behind a challenging year and look ahead to the new one, it’s natural to feel motivated to make positive changes and set new goals. But one simple but powerful way to set the stage for success in 2023 is through goal setting affirmations.
What are Affirmations?
Affirmations are positive statements that you repeat to yourself, either out loud or in your own mind. It’s tool to help reprogram your subconscious mind and focus your thoughts and energy on what you want to achieve. For example, if you want to improve your self-confidence, you might repeat the affirmation “I am worthy and deserving of love and respect.” Therefore, affirmations can help you achieve a range of goals. For example, improving self-esteem, increasing success and prosperity, and manifesting positive changes in your life.
How do Affirmations Work?
Affirmations work by helping to shift your thought patterns and beliefs about yourself and the world. When you repeat affirmations to yourself, you are training your mind to pay more attention to thoughts and beliefs that are consistent with the affirmations.
For example, if you want to improve your self-confidence, you might repeat the affirmation “I am worthy and deserving of love and respect” to yourself regularly. Over time, this affirmation may help to shift your belief about yourself from one of self-doubt to one of self-worth.
Affirmations may also work by activating the Reticular Activating System (RAS), a part of the brain that helps to filter and process information. When you repeat affirmations to yourself, you are training the RAS to pay more attention to information that is consistent with the affirmations, which can help to reinforce them and make them more likely to become a part of your belief system.
It’s important to note that while affirmations can be a useful tool, they are not a magic solution. They may be most effective when used in combination with other strategies and techniques, such as goal setting, visualization, and action-taking. However, keep reading to learn how you can make 2023 your best year by using goal setting affirmations.
What is the Science Behind Affirmations?
There is some scientific evidence to suggest that affirmations can be effective in helping people achieve their goals. For example, research has shown that affirmations can improve self-esteem and self-confidence, reduce stress and anxiety, and even improve physical outcomes, such as reducing chronic pain.
Affirmations may also work by activating the reticular activating system (RAS). RAS is a part of the brain that helps to filter and process information. When we repeat affirmations to ourselves, we may be training the RAS to pay more attention to information that is consistent with the affirmations. Therefore, can help to reinforce them and make them more likely to become a part of our belief system.
There have been many studies conducted on the effectiveness of affirmations. Here are a few examples:
- A study published in the Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology found that participants who engaged in self-affirmation activities (such as writing about their personal values) performed better on a later cognitive task and reported increased feelings of self-worth compared to a control group.
- Research published in the journal Health Psychology found that participants who completed a self-affirmation exercise (such as writing about a personal value) reported lower levels of stress and better physical health outcomes (such as lower blood pressure and improved immune function) compared to a control group.
- A study published in the journal Personality and Individual Differences found that participants who engaged in self-affirmation activities (such as writing about their personal values) had improved academic performance and were more likely to persist in the face of failure compared to a control group.
Can I Use Affirmations to Manifest My Goals?
Many people use affirmations to manifest their goals and bring about positive changes in their lives. The idea is that by repeatedly stating your desired outcome as if it has already happened. In addition, this can help you train your mind to focus on that outcome. In addition, it can help you take the necessary steps to make it a reality.
10 Goal Setting Affirmations to Make 2023 Your Best Year Yet
“I am capable of achieving my goals and making my dreams a reality.”
“I am committed to taking the necessary steps to reach my goals.”
“I believe in myself and my ability to succeed.”
“I am grateful for the abundance of opportunities and resources available to me.”
“I am worthy of achieving my goals and living a fulfilling life.”
“I am determined to overcome any obstacles and setbacks that come my way.”
“I am focused and disciplined in my efforts to achieve my goals.”
“I am surrounded by positive and supportive people who believe in me.”
“I am constantly learning and growing, and this helps me move closer to my goals.”
“I am grateful for my progress and celebrate my wins along the way.”
When reciting affirmations, speak with a positive tone and feel it in your heart. For example, instead of saying “I will stop procrastinating,” try saying “I am a person who takes timely and consistent action towards my goals.”
How Do I Use Affirmations to Achieve My 2023 Goals?
There are several ways you can use affirmations to help you achieve your 2023 goals:
- Choose affirmations that are specific to your goals and personalize them to your own situation. For example, if your goal is to improve your self-confidence, you can say “I am worthy and deserving of love and respect.”
- Repeat your affirmations to yourself regularly, either out loud or in your own mind. Above all, the more you repeat your affirmations, the more they will start to become a part of your subconscious thought patterns.
- Write your affirmations down in a journal or on index cards and carry them with you throughout the day. In addition, seeing your affirmations written down can help to reinforce them and make them more powerful.
- Set reminders on your phone or computer to remind you to repeat your affirmations throughout the day.
- Visualize yourself achieving your goals while repeating your affirmations. This can help to create a strong mental image of what you want to achieve. This can be a powerful motivator.
The Bottom Line
So, as you start to plan and set your goals for 2023, don’t forget to add goal setting affirmations to your toolkit. For that reason, these positive statements can help you stay focused, motivated, and confident. Without delay, let’s make 2023 the year you make your dreams a reality.